Tuesday, December 20, 2005

New Game Plan

I’ve reassessed some things about poker. Why do I play poker? I’d say 50% of the reason is to make some extra money. 25% would be entertainment I would rather play some poker then sit in front of the life sucker box (television). The last 25% would have to be the challenge of the game. I really find it a pretty cerebral game and I need to improve my critical thinking skills. So with all this considered how can I make this poker thing more profitable. In all the poker blogs and poker books that I've read the main focus is hourly rate. How much money are you going to pull in per hour? I can tell you now my hourly rate is not that bad some times. But other times it’s fucking terrible. For example when I play a 20+2 180 sit n go, they will last on average of 3 hours or more if I were to make the final table, if I don’t make final table I double my money so that’s 18/3 = 6$ per hour. I’m not going to make any car payments with that kind of hourly rate.

Another consideration is ring games. I’ve played at limits from .01/. 02 to .50/1.00 and I have had mediocre success. The suckouts are almost every other hand and I can’t deal with it. There are too many inexperienced players at these levels and getting reads on them in just pointless. So I need to make money where I can play my best. I consider myself to be a better then average tournament player. Almost all the books that I’ve read are on tournament strategy so it only makes sense that’s where I will improve.

Last night I tried for the first time playing 6 sit n go’s at once. My buddy Rikkidee does this quite often with fairly good success rate. I’m starting at the lowest limits so that I can get the hang of it. Let me tell you it’s extremely fast paced. I find I need to block out everything that I’m doing and I can’t have one distraction while playing. This lasts for about ¾ to 1 hour. At that point I am usually down to 4 or less tables. The pace is dramatically decreased and I can focus a little more on each game.

Advantages:

· Increase hourly rate (most important)
· Don’t play many mediocre hands that get me in trouble (low pocket pairs, suited connectors, Ax)
· Increase my decision making skills (I’m making a decision about every 3-6 seconds)
· I usually make it down to 4-5 players just due to the fact I don’t play anything but strong hands (this will change though once I get to high limits)

Disadvantages:

· I don’t get any reads one players (not really a disadvantage because I’m playing such a short game and no one really pays attention to image @ this level)
· I don’t get to be tricky (some times fun but also dangerous)
· If I’m not totally focused I can lose a fair chunk of change
· My fucking monitor’s are too small and some times I click the wrong button due to the fact I have 6 tables on a 15” monitor (now that’s costly when you call a 6xbb raise pre flop with 36)
· I can only play poker (which is not a bad thing really)


So there you have it, this is my new challenge multi tabling tournament games. I’m going to give this a good effort because I think it can really work for me.

Math

Level 1

1st = 22.50
2nd = 13.50
3rd = 9.00

Cost = 6 tables @ 5. + .50 = 33.00 (one 1st and one 2nd to break even) = 36.00 + 3.00

I know that I’m not going to make any kind of money at these stakes but this is how I’m going to learn. If I can break even I will be happy for my first 2-3 hundred sit n go’s.

Level 2

1st = 45.00
2nd = 27.00
3rd = 18.00

Cost = 6 tables @ 10+1 = 66.00 (one 1st and one 2nd to break even) = 72.00 + 6.00

This level may be a little more profitable but still the players at this level are pretty shitty. I have to finish in the money 4 out of 6 which is pretty difficult playing this pace.

Level 3

1st = 90.00
2nd = 54.00
3rd = 36.00

Cost = 6 tables @ 20+2 = 132.00 (one 1st and one 2nd to break even) = 145.00 + 13.00

There is some room for money to be made here. The players are a little better and finishing in the money 4 out of 6 will be considerable profit for about 1.5 hours of work.
[(1, 2, 3, 3) = 84.00 profit not to shabby and this is accomplishable]

Level 4

1st = 135.00
2nd = 81.00
3rd = 54.00

Cost = 6 tables @ 30+3 = 198.00 (one 1st and one 2nd to break even) = 216.00 + 18.00

Here is where it starts to get a little difficult. But the chance for profit greatly increases. Say if I were to have 4, 3rd's I still would finish +20.00 and the odds of not winning one tournament is pretty unlikely (I may be over estimating my skill but I think I should get 1 top finish). Players at this level are not bad, but take big risks for their entire stack. Which I should be able to take full advantage of early in the game because I’m only playing premium hands.

Level 5

1st = 225.00
2nd = 135.00
3rd = 90.00

Cost = 6 tables @ 50+5 = 330.00 (one 1st and one 2nd to break even) = 360.00 + 30.00

This level is a long time coming. But you see, as I get higher in stakes, getting that 1st and 2nd will still be profitable. Although at this level the games usually last much longer and players are pretty tight. This is where I can take advantage in later stages of the game with steals, and re-steals.

1,2,3,3 = 210.00 profit that’s an insane hourly rate
1,1,2,3 = 345.00 again you can see how this can be quite profitable

This is quite difficult to accomplish but I just want to show you some numbers here.

Level 6

1st = 472.00
2nd = 283.00
3rd = 189.00


Cost = 6 tables @ 100+9 = 654.00 (one 1st and one 2nd to break even) = + 101.00

This is the final goal. But there is one other problem at levels 4,5, and 6 the tournaments don’t fill up as quickly as the lower levels. I have to combined levels once I reach them. At this level players are extremely good, and playing 6 tables at once will require extreme concentration. Hopefully one day I will able to reach Zen poker and play 6 109.00 sit n go’s at once…hehe

Now that’s a fucking ridiculous long post…

GG

2 Comments:

Blogger RikkiDee said...

yep, just develop a solid strategy and routine and work your way up.

one real problem you will have to face is folding strong hands in face of big raises, you'll have to get a feel for it but it becomes almost like a reflex

12:05 PM  
Blogger Will Palango said...

joe why dont u just play big multi tourneys i mean you do seem really good at them, and a final table in 1 = HUGE PROFITS try to get in to more 10 20 5 dollar 200-800 people tourneys

6 sit&go's sounds really dumb to me..at 5 bucks each ya who cares but I mean, the guys that play 30, 50, 100 arn't idiots they will figure out how u play and you wont have the time to figure out how they play b/c you playing freakin 6 at a time. thats why u should just go into the massive tourneys where everyone is switching tables all the time so know one really knows how their opponent plays

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home