Thursday, December 22, 2005

lets raise 15% of my stack to win 1% of chips....hmmmmm

Why raise 7-10 the big blind pre flop?

Advantages

  • You have a super loose player at your table
  • You have a massive stack and trying to bully
  • People think you are loose and you have a monster hand
  • You have a monster stack and want to suckout

These are all things that would give you a reason to raise 7-10BB pre flop. Otherwise raises like this pre flop are only going to get called by monster hands and in that case you are usually dominated. I don't understand the reasoning behind this play, but I'm seeing it more and more as I play. I can honestly say that since I have started to play sit n go's at the 30$ level the skill level has dropped to that of the 10$ level. I Just started playing at these limits not less then 3 weeks ago. Which makes me think that people are still jumping on the poker ban wagon. That leads to more inexperienced players that don’t understand that calling an all-in on a gut shot draw is not a good call.

I guess I shouldn’t be upset about these moves because I know that it will be much more profitable for me when I catch a hand. I just wish I could enter the minds of some of these players and see what type of logic they are forming with a raise like this. What really errs me is that players will do this in the first three levels of blinds. Like I’m going to raise pre flop 180 with the blinds 10/20, ok I’m going to risk 12% of my chips to win 30. That is totally absurd, the only conclusion I can come up with is that I’m playing a 12 year old or this person likes the different colours of chips on the screen when he/she bets. I don’t mean to rant here; from my point of view raises like this are meaningless unless presented with the situations stated above.

- Ciao Jose Lap

1 Comments:

Blogger Will Palango said...

hmm, although i've only played a few 30dollar S&G's I have seen this happen and your right it does happen mostly in 10/20, 15/30, 25/50, level blinds, but lets consider why people do this.
Firstly, a persons position, when I'm fist to act i usally increase my raise a little b/c im up against the whole table (i.e. no one has folded yet). secondly, in the begining of a tourney EVERY ONE wants to see the damn flop with any quiality of cards becuase the blinds are so low and a big raise like that tells people to lay it down, it EVEN gets through to DONKEYS! lastly some people just like to show strength preflop and they know if they get a call the chances of one person hitting the flop compaired to 2-4 ppl hitting is wayyyyy lower and they might be able to bluff them out if his oppenent nor him has hit the flop.

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home